July 28, 2008

{fish sticks}

Paul and I passed by the Big Boy (yes, the Big Boy) restaurant the other day and he commented that we still hadn’t been to one together. Lovers of all things junk food, it was surprising we hadn't been there yet. Then I commented that, actually, I hadn't been to a Big Boy in 20 years, since they closed the one in Orange County that long ago. Which led to a big reminiscing session about my eating habits as a child. Eating out is one of my favorite activities now, but Little Kristin didn't really enjoy the task, except when we went out for breakfast (french toast and hot chocolate with whip cream...yum!) or to get hot fudge sundaes. In fact, the odd-ball child that I was, the only thing I really liked to eat at restaurants--Coco's in particular and fast food excluded--were fish sticks with tartar sauce. No I didn't go for normal kid-friendly foods like chicken fingers, pizza, hot dogs or macaroni and cheese (I hated those things, in fact), no, I went for deep-fried seafood. Which is ironic because I hate seafood. Just kind of funny to remember (but not that surprising for Paul to learn, considering how familiar he is with all my “food rules”). For the record, pizza, hot dogs and chicken fingers are some of my favorite food nowadays. But I still enjoy a good plate of fish and chips, too, along with all sorts of fatty fried goodness....mmm...

No comments: