

To make a long story short, this room--actually the easiest to finish--involved some decorating drama. We painted the walls a rich mocha color way back last summer. After living in the room for a while with all the chocolate brown pillows and linens and honey-colored floors and no curtains, I decided the room was too dark. I was going for cozy but was left with cool and cave-like. So I set out to warm up with room with color, specifically a nice cool blue to go with the duvet cover we got as a wedding gift. What an exasperating process! The blue on that comfortor was THE most impossible color to match--somewhere between lilac and sky and only to be found at Restoration Hardware and, oh, too bad the sheets that match are $200. Aargh! So then I sad "forget it!" and sought out totally different colors like these:

I made a pair of curtains, found a really good deal on some throw pillows and accessories and thought I could call the room done. Yeah right. The colors, while gorgeous, seemed disjointed with the rest of the white and blue in the room and disconnected from the rest of the house, which is green (including the wall of the room that I can see while I'm sitting in bed). But after making a whole set of curtains I just couldn't justify changing schemes. But I also couldn't rest. I'm not a perfectionist by any means, but I can be a little (okay, a lot) obsessive when it comes to home decor. Anyway, I was perusing HomeGoods and found a gorgeous sheet set for $35. Hmmmm, these would make great curtains...

The wheel started churning and I ended up with a new room in time for my parents' arrival last weekend. So I threw a little money down the drain; totally worth it! The new room is a calming oasis. And with cozy white sheets, we feel like were vacationing in a hotel every night.
-----
P.S. I'm a little sad about the discarded curtains (they're really cute!) ...if anyone wants them (for FREE!) let me know. They're made with the brown/magenta/blue/red fabric above.
2 comments:
Super cute!
Kristin! I love the quilt your mom made you (before I forget to say it....nice job, Mrs. Belsher!). And then, wow, your room looks awesome!! I love the color matches, the soft blues and whites and mocha walls...
Post a Comment