April 18, 2008

{a whole lot of shakin' goin' on}

It made the national news, so you may have heard that there was a 5.2 earthquake this morning in southeastern Illinois, which was felt as far as 500 miles away and in places like, you guessed it, Cincinnati. Unfortunately, I slept through the unexpected reminder of home. But Paul was up and felt it, as did most of my coworkers. People are all abuzz this morning about the earthquake, how it woke them up, freaked them out, confused them. They wondered what one is supposed to do during an earthquake. But no worries: I, the resident earthquake expert, filled everyone in on how you should get under a doorway (duh). Paul’s first thought during the earthquake was that our house’s foundation was finally giving in. My coworker thought someone was breaking in. Someone else assumed the breeze was rustling the frames on her wall. Which is so weird, because every time Paul shakes the bed during the night, my first thought is “earthquake!” It’s just kind of funny how ingrained the concept of an earthquake is in my mind (and every other Californian), but never even crossed the thoughts of people here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you felt the earthquake. Funny, how you were able to sleep through it. I loved your blog. Made me laugh. Is it safe to come to Cincinnati?
Mom

Christine said...

I am glad you're safe! :) And how fortunate that you were there to impart your earthquake expertise!! :) xo

Anonymous said...

Doggonit, I missed the thrill of shaking...which actually I am doing now with my new cold! But, never fear, you can take Jonathan's place as the resident expert on storms. Just call us at odd hours of the night and tell us to get in the basement before the tornado comes! Dad Boys

Anonymous said...

Kristin, I forgtot to tell you don't stand in the doorway in a Tornado, or you may get sucked out into Indiana or northern Ohio. VERY different from earthquakes in that way. :-)