Second Time Around: I have this theory that nothing is ever as good the second time. Take sequels, for example. And a great local restaurant is always disappointing on visit number two. And then there's the fact that I will never, no matter how much I love it, by a shirt in two different colors because as soon as I have the second shirt, it becomes no fun to wear. I think it has to do with expectations. Or maybe the inevitable failure of trying to re-create an experience.
IKEA: I finally made my inaugural trip to IKEA, West Chester, last Thursday. They have event parking, which was pretty funny (we parked in B2), but it wasn’t all that crowded. I ate the meatballs, which tasted like Swanson frozen salisbury steak. I had hoped to buy a lot more things than I actually did. While cute, everything at IKEA is way too modern for our house. We had lots of time to kill so we were able to spend over an hour wondering through the entire store. And kudos to Paul for shopping with me almost the entire time. I did get much satisfaction in my purchase of two ledge shelves ($15 total!), two large frames ($20!), and $.99 lint brush (those things are ridiculously expensive at other stores).
Cliche: All that really matters is love. I was writing to a friend about marriage the other day and this dawned on me. It’s a cliche, but it's true. Well, love and commitment to God and the institution of marriage. I realized when two sinful people come together, it really doesn't matter how similar they think, how social they are, how well they dress, how great their families are, or what interests they share, that sin’s gonna come out!
Single Stamina: We were recently watching an episode of How I Met Your Mother (the first season of which is pretty funny) called “Single Stamina”. The episode is about how single people are granted the stamina to go out and meet people, whereas married people just can’t muster up all that energy. How true! My coworker and were just discussing how we want to stay home every night versus our single lives that were filled to the core. Case in point: Paul and I re-created our first date last Saturday. We hit the art museum and some shops and restaurants. Needless to say, the experience paled in comparison to our real first date. But we also realized how much less energy we have now that we’re married. First date? 11 hours. Second first date? 4 hours.
Cost of Living: I just went to Trader’s Joes to pick up a few things that I can only get there. Trader Joe’s—the place that really is less expensive than the grocery store. I got three bags—three!—and I spend $60. Hello! I didn’t even get the $5 cheese, the $7 flowers, or the $8 can of coffee.
Just like Dad: The other day at dinner I found myself spouting the phrase “You know, because a peanut is a legume not a nut. That’s why people can be allergic to other nuts (tree nuts) but not peanuts, and vice versa.” Where do I pick up this information? Anyway, Paul and I both realized at the same time that I recall some rather random stuff....just like my dad. I have these moments often, it seems. Well, if I’m turning into my dad, I consider it an honor. Well, except for the “no fruit” thing.
Stereotypes: Why, just because I’m a woman, am I expected to make meal-cooking my ministry? I understand that most women in my church are stay-at-home moms that have the time and desire to cook meals and bring them to people. But not me. I hate cooking. And I don’t have the time to drive 40 minutes to deliver a meal I don’t have time to make during the day because I work. I wonder if anyone else feels this way but cringes in silence like I do. I don’t mind providing money or buying a gift card, but it really bothers me how many assumptions and stereotypes are in the church.
March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Fun post. I just got home from Trader Joe's. That place really is a mystery. I go there because a lot of things are less expensive. But I can never understand why I spend more money on less groceries. Oops! I just realized I forgot my groceries in the car. I've been home for like 15-20 minutes. Good thing there's nothing that needs to be refrigerated. I guess I just forgot about the ONE bag of groceries I got that cost me $20.
I'm with you on the meals thing. Though I am a stay-at-home mom with time on my hands, I don't enjoy cooking. Along with hating the stereotype of assuming I'd love to make a meal, I hate the pressure I put on myself of feeling like I have to. I loved receiving meals after Ezra was born, and that just adds to my guilt. Really, though, I would have loved to have money or a gift card to go and get some food. We had never eaten so many pasta-ish chicken meals in our life. Matt was ready to take back his place in the kitchen well before the meals were through coming. I say, give gift-cards and money! People will appreciate it!
Post a Comment