December 7, 2007

{advent}

One of my fondest Christmas memories is opening the tiny little doors of a paper advent calendar. Every year, my mom would buy my sister and I our own little calendars (her way of providing peace on earth—no fighting over who got to open the doors). I haven't had an advent calendar for years and I miss the tradition. So after seeing some really cute scrappy advent calendar ideas on the blogs I read at work, I just had to make one. I saw a wall-mounted, tree-shaped picture holder at Pier 1 a few weeks ago and snatched it up, just planning to hang it on the wall bare. But inspiration struck an advent calendar tree was born:



The backs of all the squares have activities for Paul and I to do each day (like drink hot chocolate and give each other foot massages). It makes us feel like kids again, finding ourselves racing to the tree and eagerly anticipating a new activity. And we like the idea of developing new Christmas traditions and incorporating old ones that we can enjoy now and share with our kids when the time comes.

What are your Christmas traditions—old or new? Wishing you a joy-filled advent season!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad there are traditions that you enjoyed as a child. I miss those days. What a great idea and how cute it looks. You are so creative.
Love,Mom

Mark Boys said...

Sarah and I bought an Advent calendar at Trader Joe's for under $2. We hung it up on the wall and enjoyed the chocolates until December 7th, when the ants that plague our apartment attacked it with relentless zeal. I don't know if we want to keep that Christmas tradition.....

Michael Boys said...

Kristin, you are the most creative child. Hopefully you can scavenge one of those for Mom Betty and I and come up with such things as, "December 3" clean out the garage...not wait we wouldn't look forward any more, we'd dread the advent calendar! You're a doodle. Hope California is sunny, no fires, and no movie stars making their hand prints in your front sidwalk! :-)