At small group last night we were given the task of being content with and not squandering the talents and skills God has given us. I’m terribly guilty of squandering my talents. I have a tendency to dismiss them as not good enough. I’m an artistic and creative person and I like writing and shopping, but I always tell myself those things don’t “count” as skills that can be used for the kingdom.
In the church lobby they put up one of those trees where you take an ornament and buy a gift for a kid. I happily picked out an ornament, one inviting me to buy an item of clothing for a teenage girl. And as I was walking away it hit me—here was my opportunity to use my shopping skills for good and not evil! Turns out, shopping does count for the kingdom. I mean, not everyone can do it well or even handle it. Paul, for example, would probably rather poke his eye out than go inside Forever 21. So from now on my talents, shopping at least, will go on the “things that count” list.
In the church lobby they put up one of those trees where you take an ornament and buy a gift for a kid. I happily picked out an ornament, one inviting me to buy an item of clothing for a teenage girl. And as I was walking away it hit me—here was my opportunity to use my shopping skills for good and not evil! Turns out, shopping does count for the kingdom. I mean, not everyone can do it well or even handle it. Paul, for example, would probably rather poke his eye out than go inside Forever 21. So from now on my talents, shopping at least, will go on the “things that count” list.
1 comment:
I love it! I laughed out loud at your post. Use those gifts, girl! Use 'em! You ARE very talented.
Post a Comment