October 26, 2007

Two "hot" topics: Coffee and global warming

I just got back from my weekly trip for a Starbucks treat. It's a bit ridiculous that a cup of coffee (fancy coffee spiced with pumpkin, but still) costs more than four dollars. It's even more ridiculous that I spent the more than four dollar to get one. We wonder why Starbucks costs so darn much. Guess what? We let them. I do, anyway. There are three Starbucks within a 1.5 mile radius of work. And I'm pretty sure a lot of other people let them too. Maybe I should boycott my weekly treats... (yeah, right).

On a separate note, I love to read the quotes on the side of the Starbucks cups. Today's was a rather witty comment regarding global warming:
"So-called global warming is a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer and more livable. Don't let them get away with it!"

He has a point. I don't know whether global warming exists or not. And, frankly, I don't really care. But certainly is can't hurt to use cleaning products without chemicals, to save money on the energy bill, and drive the car a little less. I'm fairly intrigued with the whole green movement...much of my ideas and information comes from the various home décor and lifestyle magazine I read (which, for the record, I either save or recycle). Perhaps my semi-liberal husband is rubbing off on me.... But, don't worry, I'm rubbing off on him too; he went shopping yesterday (by himself) to find me a houndstooth winter coat...

2 comments:

Mark Boys said...

Kristin,

I'm digging your blog. I like to know that Paul goes shopping and watches CSPAN...what a weenie!

Uncle Mgrk

Unknown said...

Hi Auntie Kristin!
I am having fun reading your blog. I also read this quote on an overpriced Starbucks cup(oh, wait, it is free for me:) only for one more week though) and I was like "Yeah, they voiced MY opinion!" I didn't know that I was married to Mgrk.