December 7, 2006

Winter wonderland

We finally had our first snowfall. It always amazes me when I go to bed and the world looks one way, and then I wake up with it covered in a blanket of snow. When I look outside in the morning and am taken aback by the fluffy white, I smile, and get all excited, and run to look out every window. I’m so eager, much like a five year old on Christmas, to see the new world from every angle. The excitement of a first snowfall will never get old.

Luckily, here in Cincinnati it’s too warm to get much snow or for the snow to stick around (no pun intend) for very long. Already it’s melted in the streets. (But it did stay long enough for me to have an excuse to skip going to the gym.) At the same time, that is the saddest part--when the snow melts. Instead a sense of wonder, with a soft, white veil making the world seem pure, you start to see reality. The world begins to look unclean, slushy, bleak. And you go back to work and get on with your adult life, leaving the child in you behind.

No comments: