Today I’m becoming one of those people I usually give lectures to. I (gasp!) am not voting. Some people may not think that a big deal. Those would be the people to whom I usually say clichés like “It’s your duty as an American” and “You shouldn’t take it for granted.” Well, I guess I’m taking it for granted. This is the first time I haven’t voted in a regular election (I’m not counting primaries). I feel guilty. Especially since last night, while Paul was diligently conducting research and writing out his choices, I was sewing a purse. I’m also really going to miss wearing my “I voted” sticker today.
I do take come comfort in the fact that not voting is not entirely an act of laziness and indifference. First of all, I’ve been a little distracted lately—what with moving, meeting new people, trying to find a church, changing my address, setting up cable, etc. So, I didn’t get a chance to register to vote in Ohio. So, can’t vote here. Which is a shame because there are two smoking (one for and one against) propositions which I’d really like to vote for (and against). Also, my absentee ballot for California is sitting at my parents’ house. It’s not like I can just drop by and get it, right? And why do I care about voting for California assembly people? I don’t live there. But then again, California has a big impact on national politics, so maybe it would have been a good idea...
I usually struggle with voting. I never want to, but I do because I feel it is my duty as an American and I shouldn’t take it for granted. My parents instilled in me that voting is a privilege and a responsibility. But, as you all know, I’m totally indecisive. I never have strong opinions and I always see both sides of the issue. So, having to make 500 decisions in one five-minute period is really overwhelming. Overwhelming to the point of giving up and just voting for governor. Speaking of governor, I read the Schwarzenegger’s likely landslide is one of the only bright spots for the Republicans. Wow, Phil Angelides must really suck.
Happy voting!
November 7, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment