This morning I was reading Romans 14:
“1Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.”
In light of what I wrote yesterday, I thought this was appropriate. Perhaps there was a reason for my lingering guilt. The guilt that resurfaced again last night at small group. Their faith and views may be different than mine, but I’m not better than them and I’m in no position to judge.
One of the mega-church girls said to me, I’m more of a spiritual person. I’m not really into the Bible. It just doesn’t apply to my life. I told her I understood, but that I did not feel that way at all. I was thinking about that conversation this morning, and it made me sad. And I realized that’s Crossroads Church is not for me. The sermons, the small groups, are not centered around Scripture. Yes, they quote Bible verses, and the church believes in the authority of the Bible (they subscribe to inerrancy in fact.) But in the Sunday morning services, the Bible is mostly absent. I think they don’t want to scare people or make them feel uncomfortable. And, in a way, what they’re doing is good. A lot of people are being exposed to the character of God. But I think avoiding the Bible is what makes it irrelevant to people. If you can’t see how Scripture is woven into your life, how to pray it and worship through it, of course you would think it’s irrelevant. I may be totally wrong on this (but please don’t mention it to me).
I was listening to a Beth Moore sermon last week. One thing I love about her is that she is so passionate about the Word of God. Her love for Scripture pours out as a drink offering. And it inspires passion in others. I wonder if the girl who said the Bible isn’t relevant heard Beth Moore, what she would think.
November 3, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So true. I don't think you are wrong at all. By the my small group is doing beth moore's Daniel right now. It's awesome.
The prior is from me. I was using Dave's Blackberry and couldn't figure out how to log in.
Post a Comment