October 30, 2006

Weekend with the parents

My parents were in town this weekend. What a great time…sharing the city with them, hanging around the apartment, spending time with Paul. And the weather got progressively better. It was nice to have some comfort around. Plus I got some “early Christmas presents” in the form of the most perfect wool blazer from Banana Republic. My parents went to PF Chang's before meeting me at my apartment. And there was traffic on Friday night and way too many people at the mall. Ahhh....just like home. And it turns out I’m not the only one with a problem with Cincinnati street signs. My poor parents had to find my apartment at night in the rain. We ended up making a game out of who could find the street signs first.

This weekend also marked the first meeting of the future in-laws: My parents met Paul’s parents. I’m sure all parties were nervous at the outset (I know I was), but it went really well! Everyone got along easily. In fact, the two sets took to each other so well, that Paul and I were left on the side, thinking What do we do with ourselves? We decided to try splitting up (men and women) and I was reminded, yet again, how it’s harder for women in different life stages to connect than for men. While Paul fell into the conversion about real estate and intelligent design (or whatever) I stood in the kitchen awkwardly trying to have something to say about hormone replacement.

No comments: