I really hope EV Free doesn’t get cup holders when they revamp the sanctuary. Even though I don’t go there anymore, it will make me sad.
I went to this mega-church (i.e., like Saddleback) in town the last two Sundays. Not because I was really itching to go there, but it’s down the street from me and really easy to blend in. We were greeted by an uber-cool, giant-Starbucks-like, video-monitor-clad atrium. Because we got there late, we snuck into the “sanctuary” (is that what you call it there?), and climbed a few flights of stairs to the top balcony. As I sat there, not really listening to the message since I didn’t hear to start of it, I was fixated on the cup holders. The whole sanctuary was stadium seating, very artsy stage, like being in a theater. But I felt like cup holders were wrong, in some way. Are we going to church to be entertained or to worship God? Not that you can’t worship God with a cup of coffee in your hand (I do it all the time at home). And I do respect what churches like this (Crossroads) and Saddleback are doing—to make people who don’t go to church feel comfortable (people like I used to be), to find a way to get them in the doors. The cup holders just made me a little sad. And I realized the irony of how I’ve become a little of a traditionalist. What brought me to know God was a very un-church-like atmosphere. Some casual people, causal worship, and a causal—yet deep--message. There was nothing more intimidating or uncomfortable than church for me. But now, I like it when they use the silver offering trays, when people dress up, when we sing hymns (albeit with a guitar and not full choir) and there are pews instead of chairs. I guess that speaks in some way to the work that God has bee doing in my heart. He makes me comfortable and I love His house.
I’ll still keep going to Crossroads because it’s there, but I’ll be content when I find a church for church-goers, a church that doesn’t deem itself “for real people,” and one sans cup holders.
October 9, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hmmm... I sort of agree. Dave and I went to a megachurch here in Roseville once and it was held in a gym-like structure with a full stage for the band, complete with lighting, special effects, etc. It somehow just felt wrong to us. The pastor at the church we go to now described my view about these things perfectly... churches like that serve a wonderful purpose, but you also need churches where those who aren't seeking can be fed and grow. That being said, our church has chairs and doesn't often sing hyms. But, no cupholders. :P)
Post a Comment