December 23, 2008

i even used the kitchenaid mixer.

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I am not a baker. My idea of baking from scratch is breaking out the canola oil and box of Betty Crocker brownie mix. My Kitchenaid mixer was inherited from my sister, and its permanent home is on the top shelf of our cupboard, the only access a step stool. I bake from actual scratch about once a year when I make pumpkin cake for Thanksgiving.

I spent the day playing stay-at-home wife, a welcome novelty to the drone of going into the office every day. My masquerade as a domestic goddess concluded with a batch of homemade-from-scratch muffins. I'm not sure what possessed me. It must have been the holidays.

In our short three years together, Paul and I have developed a tradition of doing our Christmas together at night, a few days before Christmas. We don cozy pajamas, open gifts, and eat breakfast for dinner. This year, in the wake of missing out on a Christmas in California, I decided to carry on some of my mom's famous Christmas breakfast traditions, the most important of which are her baked eggs. I saw a recipe for donut muffins last month and have been craving them ever since. Because the blogger who introduced me to the most precious-sounding baked good ever wouldn't be in my kitchen, my only option was to bake the muffins myself. So I did, hopefully starting a new breakfast tradition for my own family.





Click here for the donut muffin recipe.

xxxxx

No comments: