November 2, 2008

why i hate potlucks.

Nothing like the smell of ground beef to get your day going.

I'm spending part of the morning making crock pot tamale pie for a church potluck this afternoon. Fortunately, the extra hour has afforded me some time to cook. But you know what? I hate potlucks. In fact, I call them pot"bad"lucks. Not only do you have to get up early to make the meal for the potluck--a few extra hours early if you're involving a crock pot, and let's face it, what potluck dish doesn't involve a crock pot?--you have to figure out the logistics of carrying and reheating the dish at the potluck location.

Now, you might be thinking, "Just pick up some cookies or bring a bag of chips and dip." It's true: People who bring dessert to a potluck have it easy. They can bake ahead, sleep in, and forgot about any reheating logistical nightmares. I would gladly make some brownies from a box for a potluck. But, unfortunately, my husband has a penchant for volunteering to bring a main dish-- a habit that is a little annoying considering he's inevitably not the one to actually make the dish. Even if we did sign up for a side item, a bag of chips would be out of the question. It's one thing for a single guy to show up with something ending in "itoes," but married women are expected to cook. I'm pretty sure it's in the church bylaws. (Insert Kristin's mini-tirade on how married women are expected to make cooking their ministry.)

Rather than simply complaining, I might as well do something useful with my time here and share the recipe for tamale pie (which is really nothing like a tamale or a pie, but that's what it's called anyway).


Tamale Pie

1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
1.5 cups milk
1 egg beaten
1 can corn, drained
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
3/4 c. corn meal
1 packet chili seasoning (I'm hoping enchilada seasoning can make a good substitute)
1 can sliced black olives (optional if your husband hates olives)
shredded cheddar cheese

Mix everything in a crock pot and cook on high for 3-4 hours (I think I usually do close to 3.) Add a bunch of the cheddar cheese on top and let it melt before serving.

xxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never knew you were so funny until I started reading your blogs. I do agree with you about potlucks. Not all they are cracked up to be. sound like a good dish to take with you. Enjoy your afternoon.
Love, Mom