November 25, 2008

roy joseph.

I was searching the WNKU web site looking for the name of a guy I heard on the radio the other day. I found Jay Nash and looked up some songs on itunes, deciding that he's wasn't as great as I initially thought. And then the name Roy Joseph popped into my head, a name from months--enough to be several years--ago, lingering in the backlog of my memories.

I can't remember the exact details of how Roy Joseph came into my life, but it went something like this: It was 2004. My friend Erica had stumbled upon this guy's demo CD. She gave me a copy. I proceeded to replay the CD over, and over, and over again. My heart longed to listen to the CD. This guy, Roy Joseph, had a lilting voice and songs that comforted me, gave me a spring in my step, caused my eyes to tear up, made me want to be different, just depending on what the song was playing. I loved this CD like no other. It was casual and sweet. It was lighthearted and deep. And I despised the fact that there were only 8 tracks to play.

Fast forward to tonight. By now, I had completely forgotten about Roy Joseph. But then hearing John Nash's voice brought Roy's back to mind and all the memories of listening to that 8-track CD came flooding back. I looked up Roy on itunes and it turns out he has an album--a real one, with 14 tracks. I smiled ear to ear and proceeded to listen to every song (as much of them the itunes gods will allow) and I cried. The nostaliga was just too much to bear, I guess.

But anyway, now that I know that Roy Joseph has a real CD (released last September, for the record) I had to share about it, along with some lyrics (
which really aren't done justice without the music, so click here to listen to the song):

straight road bends

The weather comes quick, the sun don’t shine
As darkness falls inside my mind
So I reach out for balance against this spin
As the bitter taste of reality sets in
And if it all works together for good somehow
Well it doesn’t seem to comfort me right now


But when I’m looking straight ahead and the straight road bends
And the earth gives way and the walls cave in
Looking for a place to hide from the fears within
When the claims I’ve made I can’t defend
When conviction runs deep and belief wears thin
Looking for a place to start but I’ve reached my end
I’ll know it’s all right, I’m gonna hold tight
That’s where the faith begins...


xxxx

No comments: