May 28, 2008

{mexican queen}

I have this talent of creating pretty tasty dinners just by throwing things together. Of course, I make meatloaf and lasagna every now and again, but mostly I try to avoid using recipes (all that darn measuring!), plus I rarely plan ahead. So, on my cooking days I usually find myself going through the fridge and cupboards searching for items that would constitute something meal-like, relying on experimentation and images left over from watching Mom cook to come up with something edible. I do make some blunders; for example, turkeyloaf is not so good. But usually I'm pretty successful.

Then there are the days like today when I make something Mexi-tastic! After last week's burritos and today's taco salad, both made up from lack of proper ingredients, Paul has determined that I am the Mexican Queen. Not that I have a lot of competition...have you tasted the Mexican food in Cincinnati? Anyway, here's what I threw together today to make awesome--and fairly healthy--taco salad.



Ingredients:

Crispy lettuce (I used Romaine, but you could also use iceberg)
Red and green peppers
1 can corn (or frozen corn)
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
tomato
shredded cheddar cheese
onions (to taste--about 1/4-1/2 cup chopped)
1 pound ground meat (I used 99% fat free turkey, but you could use beef or 80% turkey, or even chicken)
1 package enchilada seasoning or taco seasoning
1/4 cup water
Mild, finely chopped fresh salsa (I got mine at Trader Joes)
sour cream (I used regular, not low fat)
olive oil

Directions:
Brown your chopped onions in a skillet, for a few minutes. Then leave them in the pan and brown your meat. When that's done, drain any fat as needed and leave in pan. Then add 1/4 cup water and package of seasoning. Mix throughly. Set aside.

In a small bowl, mix some salsa, sour cream, and olive oil until it has a dressing-like consistency and tastes good.

Mixing everything but the dressing in a big, fat bowl.

Serve, and bask in the glory of your husband's praise.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! I like the sound of your dressing. You have always been good at throwing things together to make a great meal. Way to go!!
Mom

Mark Boys said...

I am really jealous of your sexy-looking eating machine of a husband....

Paul said...

I've always been more sexy than you. It comes with being just a little bit older.